Injury Forces Pavel Zacha To Miss Olympics, Ending Long-Awaited Opportunity

Photo credits: Jenn G

Written By Gina Anton

For Pavel Zacha, what should have been a career highlight of representing Czechia at the 2026 Winter Olympics in Milano-Cortina became an unexpected setback. An upper-body injury suffered late in January forced the versatile Boston Bruins forward to withdraw from the Olympic tournament, a disappointment that has resonated deeply with the 28-year-old center.

Zacha had been a cornerstone of both his NHL club and his national program and was among the first players announced to the Czech Olympic roster last June, which showed a clear signal of the important role he was expected to play in Italy. But during Boston’s 6–3 win over the Philadelphia Flyers on Jan. 29, a heavy hit ended his night early and ultimately his Olympic aspirations.

“It was one of the most frustrating things,” Zacha said after a recent Bruins practice, reflecting on both his missed opportunity to compete in the Winter Olympics and the midseason outdoor Stadium Series game he also had to forgo. “Making the decision of not going was really hard.”

Initially, Zacha held out hope that he might recover in time. Early signs hinted at progress.

“Three days after it was good,” Zacha recalled, but his condition later plateaued and even worsened, diminishing any realistic chance of joining his countrymen in Italy.

“With the timeline … I kind of knew it’s probably not gonna happen,” he explained.

The decision to withdraw from the Czech roster was described as mutual, reached collectively by Zacha, Bruins medical staff, and the Czech hockey federation. It wasn’t taken lightly, but ultimately health and long-term performance were prioritized over Olympic participation.

Despite the frustration, Zacha has tried to find a positive amid the setback, namely the opportunity to focus on recovery with the Bruins during the NHL’s Olympic break. He has since returned to practice at Boston’s Warrior Ice Arena, donning a red non-contact jersey as he accelerates his return to full fitness ahead of the NHL’s stretch run.

Boston head coach Marco Sturm offered encouragement on Zacha’s recovery prospects, noting the forward appears to be progressing well and could be ready to contribute once regular-season play resumes.

“Hopefully … he’s definitely on the right track,” Sturm said, underscoring how tightly the club is managing his return.

Zacha’s absence was felt by team and country alike. Czechia’s Olympic run ultimately ended in a narrow 4–3 overtime loss to Canada in the quarterfinals, with Bruins star David Pastrnak leading the charge with two goals and three assists over the tournament.

For Zacha, the pain of watching from afar was real.

“Even watching the games now, it’s hard to watch … that I can’t be there and experience it,” he admitted.

Nevertheless, he’s now turning his attention back to the Bruins and the second half of the NHL season, determined to return stronger and make an impact where he can.

Next
Next

Radim Rulik Furious With Referees After Team Czech’s Olympic Loss